EERI is currently accepting applications from practicing professionals who wish to participate in the Friedman Family Visiting Professionals (FFVP) Program. This program, permanently endowed by the Friedman Family, focuses on fostering better understanding and communication between and among earthquake practitioners and academics. It has been in continuous operation since 1997 and 33 professionals have made over 240 visits in the last 25 years.
Both student chapters and visiting professionals have raved about the importance of this program, and the incredible benefit to undergraduate and graduate students. The program objectives are to:
- Improve the understanding of students and faculty of the active professional earthquake engineering and risk reduction community
- Enhance the understanding of the multidisciplinary nature of earthquake engineering
- Increase the professional's understanding of the educational process
- Utilize the unique intellectual resources of EERI to broker useful relationships
- Use the resources of EERI to help students understand and consider professional careers associated with earthquake engineering and earthquake risk reduction
The application deadline is Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 11:59 pm Pacific Time. Selected applicants will participate in the 2022-2023 program year and will make their visit to their matched university in the first half of 2023.
The position of a Friedman Family Visiting Professional is a volunteer position. Applicants must be practicing professionals and EERI members in good standing. This program looks for ambassadors of EERI who are willing to travel to student chapters and share their experiences in their field and how EERI has impacted their career by giving a lecture and participating in additional informal activities. Participating professionals must have the availability to be in regular communication with EERI staff, travel to universities (mainly US and Canada with a few other international locations), and engage actively with undergraduate and graduate students to plan and execute their visit. EERI provides travel stipends to cover travel and lodging for your visits. Some visits may also be held virtually due to funding or other circumstances.
EERI and the FFVP Program are interested in applicants who:
- Are role models in their discipline and field
- Show dedication to EERI and its vision and mission (see here)
- Are involved in EERI and can speak about its impact on their career
- Have a strong desire to meet and interact with undergraduate and graduate student members of EERI student chapters
- Are interested in interacting with university faculty members
- Have the ability to plan their own travel and coordinate logistics with the student chapter members
To be considered, please submit a written statement and a cv/resume using this form. Your written statement should include the following:
- Why are you interested in being a Friedman Family Visiting Professional?
- What is your experience as a speaker and in working with students.?
- What are the potential topics you could discuss during a lecture? (Click here to see the topics current visiting professionals speak about)
- What added value would you bring to the FFVP Program?