EERI is currently accepting Board of Director applications for two Appointed Director positions. The eleven-member EERI Board of Directors is the central decision making body for the organization, and includes two appointed director positions per the bylaws. The Board represents the interests of the membership and provides guidance and direction so that EERI can fulfill its mission and reflect its core values, while maintaining accountability and fulfilling its responsibilities to the community, its members.
The application deadline is November 2, 2022 at 11:59 pm Pacific Time. Applications will be reviewed by the 2022 Nominating Committee. Eligible applicants are Regular Members, Young Professional Members, Retired Members, Subscribing Members Representatives, and Honorary Members in good standing.
The committee will select two individuals, one to serve a 2-year term as an Appointed Director and the other to serve a 4-year term as an Appointed Director. Because this selection is for appointed directors, there will be no EERI Election this year. Instead, the EERI Board of Directors will make the final selection and appointment of the two Appointed Directors at their next meeting in December 2022. The Appointed Directors will begin their terms at the first board meeting of 2023, typically in March.
All applicants should carefully read the EERI Board Member Roles and Responsibilities document to learn more about the time commitment, legal obligations, and the desired qualities for each board member.
In addition, the Nominating Committee is encouraging applicants who have one or more of the following attributes:
- Have passion for and expertise in the Learning From Earthquakes (LFE) program.
- Are active in local or national professional societies with an emphasis on membership activism and recruitment.
- Enhance the racial/ethnic diversity of the Board, especially candidates who are Latina/o/x.
- Represent the following regions: Central/Eastern US, Intermountain West (UT, CO), or the Pacific Northwest.
- Represent the following disciplines: lifelines, geotechnical engineering, public health, public policy, economics, or social science.
- Are employed in Federal/State/Regional/Local government, or in engineering practice.
To be considered, please submit a written statement (about 750 words total) and a CV or résumé using this form. The written statement should include the following items:
- Why are you interested in serving on the EERI Board?
- What accomplishments do you have that would help you succeed as an EERI Board Member?
- How will you fulfill the general desired qualities for each Board Member? (See the EERI Board Member Roles and Responsibilities document.)
- What is your vision for the future of EERI?
- Anything else you would like the selection committee to consider when reviewing your application.
Note, the application form requires a google account to submit. If you do not have a google account, you can submit your materials by sending them in an email attachment to
Applications will be reviewed by the 2022 Nominating Committee:
- Laurie Johnson, Chair
- Janiele Maffei
- Erica Fischer
- Jonathan Stewart
- Heidi Tremayne
- Silvana Cobos
Questions about the application process should be sent to