EERI is currently accepting applications for the positions of President-Elect and Director to serve on the EERI Board of Directors beginning in 2024. The eleven member EERI Board of Directors is the central decision making body for the organization. The Board represents the interests of the membership and provides guidance and direction so that EERI can fulfill its mission and reflect its core values, while maintaining accountability and fulfilling its responsibilities to the community, its members, and government.
The application deadline is August 17, 2023 at 11:59 pm Pacific Time. Applications will be reviewed by the 2023 Nominating Committee and finalists may be invited for an informal interview. Eligible applicants are Regular Members, Young Professional Members, Retired Members, Subscribing Members Representatives, and Honorary Members in good standing.
The committee will identify one individual for President-Elect and four individuals for the two open Director positions to be candidates in the 2024 Board of Directors Election, which takes place in October 2023. The final election of President-Elect and two Directors will be announced in early December 2023. The Director and President terms will begin at the first board meeting of 2024, typically in March. The term of service for elected Directors is two consecutive two-year terms at the mutual agreement of the Board member and President. The President-Elect serves the Institute for a term of four years as follows: one year as President-Elect, two years as President, and one year as Past-President.
All applicants should carefully read the EERI Board Member Roles and Responsibilities document to learn more about the time commitment, legal obligations, and the desired qualities for each board member.
In addition, the Nominating Committee is particularly interested in applicants who:
- Candidates employed in professional practice or academia.
- Candidates representing the following disciplines: lifelines, public health, economics, risk analysis, urban planning, emergency management, or social science.
- Candidates representing regions anywhere in the United States other than Northern California; however, that does not preclude candidates from Northern California being considered.
- Candidates with leadership experience in member organizations, professional societies, or non-profits where membership engagement and recruitment is a priority.
- Candidates with experience in financial management, fundraising, or operations/governance for any other nonprofit or corporation.
To be considered, please submit a brief written statement (no more than 750 words total) and a CV or résumé using this form. The written statement should include the following items:
- Why are you interested in serving on the EERI Board?
- What accomplishments do you have that would help you succeed as an EERI Board Member?
- How will you fulfill the general desired qualities and desired characteristics for each Board Member? (See the EERI Board Member Roles and Responsibilities document.)
- What is your vision for the future of EERI?
- Anything else you would like the selection committee to consider when reviewing your application.
Note, the application form requires a google account to submit. If you do not have and are unable to make a google account but would like to apply, please email
Applications will be reviewed by the 2023 Nominating Committee:
- Barry Welliver, Chair
- Carlos Molina Hutt
- Katerina Ziotopoulou
- Erica Fischer
- Nick Gregor
- Janiele Maffei
- Heidi Tremayne
- Silvana Cobos