EERI is currently accepting applications for the position of Chair/Co-Chairs of the Learning from Earthquakes (LFE) Committee. The LFE Committee Chair or Co-Chairs provide oversight and leadership for EERI’s flagship program.
In 2019, EERI launched the LFE Endowment Campaign in order to provide sustainable funding for this core program that is foundational to EERI’s mission and holds special meaning for many EERI members. It is also time to choose a new Chair or Co-chairs to work with the LFE Committee, the EERI Board and staff in designing and leading a sustainable LFE program into the future. This open application process is designed to provide transparency on the management of the program to the EERI membership and LFE Endowment donors.
The application deadline is July 8, 2020. Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee and finalists will be invited to an informal interview with the selection committee. The committee may select two candidates to serve as Co-Chairs of the program, and is even encouraging applicants to apply as a leadership pair. Final selection of a Chair or Co-Chairs is expected in August 2020, with the term to start in September 2020.
The selection committee is particularly interested in applicants who:
- Have strong reconnaissance experience
- Have an understanding of how the post-earthquake reconnaissance landscape is evolving
- Understand and value the multidisciplinary nature of the LFE program
- Have demonstrated leadership ability
- Can lead the committee in strategic discussions to determine future directions for the program
- Have experience collaborating with the broad spectrum of LFE partners including academics, practitioners, and federal agencies
- Have experience collaborating with international EERI members and other international partner organizations
The position of LFE Committee Chair is a volunteer position. Applicants must be EERI members in good standing. Chairs must have the availability to be in regular communication with EERI staff, lead regular committee meetings, attend EERI annual meetings, and engage actively in determining EERI’s response to earthquakes in the U.S. and around the world.
More information about the position of LFE Chair and the LFE Committee can be found in the LFE Committee Charge and Organization.
To be considered, please submit a written statement and a cv/resume using this form. The written statement should include the following items:
- Why you are interested in serving as LFE Chair
- Your experience conducting post-earthquake reconnaissance
- Other experiences that you believe align with the desired qualities for LFE Chair as described above
- What you believe are the strengths, challenges, and opportunities for the LFE program in the next 5 years
- How would you approach determining strategic directions for the LFE program
- Anything else you would like the selection committee to consider when reviewing your application
- If you are applying as a leadership pair with another applicant. (Each applicant should submit a separate application).
Applications will be reviewed by an Ad Hoc Selection Committee:
- Laurie Johnson, EERI President
- David Cocke, EERI President-elect
- Judith Mitrani-Reiser, EERI Board Liaison to the LFE Committee
- Charles Huyck, Outgoing LFE Chair
- David Friedman, LFE Endowment Campaign Committee
- Heidi Tremayne, EERI Executive Director
- Maggie Ortiz-Millan, EERI LFE Program Manager